Sunday, May 2, 2010

27th April till 1st May

Tuesday the 27th April

First thing I have to attend to is the intermittent starting problem of my 7.5Kw 3 cylinder diesel Kubota / Onan generator. It is located in the below floor area between the 2 front seats. In front of the front axle., really quite accessible, believe it or not!

Found ; eventually, that there is an Onan Service centre in Ocala. The Cummins/Onan Power South is a big organisation that has so many motorhomes come for service of their Cummins main engine and Onan Auxiliaries, they have a 10 site campground with 50 amp power connection and water hookups. Rich, the service manager gave mean 8am appointment for Wednesday and told me to make myself comfortable. There are 2 very good aircons in Rocinante, and a good book and coffee, I surely did that!!

Promptly next morning; my serviceman Jason appeared at my RV. Would you believe the bloody thing started first hit!!!! But A full service was called for as I found that the engine was severely overfilled with oil!! New Air, fuel and oil filters were sourced within the hour, (remember, it is a 23 year old unit!!) and work began. It was surmised that the oil was foaming through overfill and the low oil pressure cut out was causing the “no start”. All finished and the button was hit, NOTHING!!!! No noise. Still a problem. In about 15 minutes he isolated it to an intermittent connection on terminal 3 of the printed circuit board on the generator. I said I would take over from there, as I did not want to buy a complete board. Folks from the RV next to me, took me to Wal-Mart to buy a soldering iron, and after about 2 hours it was all good and as new!!

Back on the road again and it was back to my supermarket overnight and plan my trip to High Springs; about 70 miles to the north, where a large RV wrecking and salvage yard is supposed to be!!

Next morning it was to the Laundromat and then to the Appleton Museum of Art to see the Southern Journeys Exhibition.

Was going through Ocala streets and noticed a Sign shop; Andy’s Signs , So inside and we designed a new Rocinante sign for the front of the RV. Very similar to The script used for the name on Steinbeck’s old camper. The photo above shows it well.

Then on the road to High Springs. The land around this area is horse country and some beautiful properties line each side of the roads.

After a few stops at interesting sights, I found the Salvage yard abot 4 miles north of town, it was late in the day and was closed, so I turned on computer to do some writing and free wifi jumped out at me!!!! No need to find an overnight spot now!! I just pulled across to the other side of the small highway up against the State Park fence and called it home for the night, with wifi!!

At 8am next morning, life appeared at the salvage yard. What a revelation behind the high tin fence! About 5 acres of stripped old RVs and caravans. So much firewood!! About 10% had had fires, a grim note about smoking in bed and candles!! Esentially, all the carcases were exactly that, but I was able to buy some small switches; new, plumbing pipes and bends etc, and an LPG detector, new!!

I did some groundwork on buying a bulk quantity of captains and passenger fully adjustable seats as well as hot water heaters. I may make up a container lot to bring home.

Why did I need the plumbing fittings you may ask? Well… the carpet has been a little wet since I started and I bought a couple of noticed that the pressure pump came on more often than was necessary!! A leak in an RV is a real problem. When they are being built, The first thing to go on the floor pan is the piping!! And it is all covered up as the unit is built. Fate shined on me and I was able to find the split 90 deg angle fitting by listening, feeling for water and a long arm. How was it to be fixed, I had prayed for some divine intervention. Tried 2 mix plasticine stuff, but only 90% effective, still leaking. So it was cut the offending corner out and use compression fittings either side of the break. Let me say it is a job best in the past!! Dry floor now!!

Next day was back to Ocala and bought a couple of car speakers to replace dud ones in ceiling over dining area, HiFi in the kitchen now!! The Computer Wizz man in Gainesville also loaded the drivers for my long distance WiFi antenna and now internet connection is a whole lot easier. Can steal WiFi from 500 metres!!

Quiet night in Ocala!! And next morning back to Lady Lake where my Florida Drivers licence had arrived in the mail at bill and Jills. Then on to Seminole City to just cruise around for a day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment